Pages

Monday, July 21, 2014

Cinder

Cinder
Lunar Chronicles 1
Marissa Meyer

My copy is a... Paperback
Published: January 2012
Publisher: Feiwel and Friends
Summary: Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. 
Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future. (via Goodreads)

After hearing TONS about how amazing this book is I picked it up while I was killing time in a bookstore. I didn’t end up buying the book because I didn’t have any money on me but I ordered it from the library and ended up being fairly impressed by it, although there were parts that bugged me.

To start with the things that bugged was there was very little world building. The concept of “New Beijing” is very interesting but very little of the history of New Beijing and the culture, other than class/race differences was explained. The cast system was never fully explained either. In Cinder's case she became a cyborg in order to save her life and she was considered a lower class. If somebody had a cyborg eye installed because they wanted it would they then be considered a lower class? or if a solider/amputee got a cyborg limb?
 Another problem I had with this book was the cover. While the cover was beautiful it did not represent Cinder at all. First of all, Cinder doesn’t have skin graphs, skin covering her robot arm and leg. Therefore the leg on the cover should be a robot not human/robot leg. Also, Cinder would never wear the red kitten heels featured on the cover. I understand that they are used to help relate the story to Cinderella but they don’t fit the story at all, In my opinion it should have been a boot. Lastly, the story was predictable. The big cliff hanger/end that makes you scream give me the next book now!, (if you need farther examples look at The Mark Of Athena by Rick Riordan, If I Stay by Gayle Foreman, 13 gifts by Wendy Mass, or Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins) I predicted in the first 50 pages. I’m not saying what the event is but the clues were laid out in such a way that your groaning at Cinder to figure it out already!

Despite all that there were many parts of the book that I enjoyed. I have not been able to find a dystopian novel with a strong plot in a long time, making this book a very nice break from the contemporary fiction I’ve been reading. Another part of the book I liked was the fact that while there was a love interest the story focused more on species/racial problems instead of the love interest. In my opinion this story read more like a prequel then the first installment in a trilogy.

Rating:

3.5 stars

This was a great dystopian book to read, the writing was much better than the other dystopians I have read recently. However, some elements(world building, characters, etc.) missed the mark for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik